CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

One Word 2013

My One Word for 2013 is Listen.  Now the whole point of this is to pick ONE word instead of a whole list of resolutions/goals.  One word just isn't good enough for me.  My goals/resolutions are the things I want to DO and my One Word is who I want to BE in 2013.  Nobody can tell me that I can't do both.

I first saw the One Word site about a week ago and knew I wanted to participate.  I didn't want to just pick any word though.  It had to mean something.  I thought through dozens of words, and nothing felt right.  So yesterday I came up with the word "Listen".  I don't even remember where it came from.  I still wasn't completely sure.  So I prayed about it, and decided to open up my YouVersion Bible app and read whatever Book, Chapter, and Verse it was on.  I had it set to Proverbs 31.  Before I even began reading, I could see the word "Listen" in Verse 2.  Verse 2 says "Listen, my son!  Listen, son of my womb! Listen, my son, the answer to my prayers!"  Now of course that verse wasn't written to me, but I think God meant it for me at that moment.  I need to LISTEN.

Listen is such a great word for 2013 because I am such a terrible listener.  When talking to friends, I often end up nodding after a while and my mind drifts to other things.  Friends will tell me something and then I will have no idea they told me that thing later.  Even when I do listen, I'm often not listening well enough to offer any advice or solution.  Now I am definitely better than I used to be.  Some of my friends may not even notice.  I sure hope they don't anyway!

I also have a very hard time listening for God's voice.  I can pray, but I can't sit still long enough to listen for an answer.  Even if he doesn't answer me right away, but later in my day, I am not sure that I am still enough to hear it.  Now I don't want to just listen enough to hear it.  I want to listen and OBEY. 

Do not merely listen to the word and so deceive yourselves.  Do what it says. James 1:22 NIV

6 comments:

  1. Ann, my word came from a verse as well. It just jumped out at me and said: I'm your word! I know that He will honor the desire of your heart and I can't wait to see how that works out in your life this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! I have worked on this in 2012 - I was so bad at speaking before listening - reacting before listening - DOING before listening. Listening is the first step. May 2013 be filled with listening to God's voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you through the one-word link up! you stuck out because we've chosen the same word for 2013! my word is "listen' too :)

    I love that we are working on the same thing!!! I have a really hard time with holding still and listening as well :/ we're in this together!!! :)

    My post on "listen" is here:
    http://www.beautythroughimperfection.com/2013/01/01/listen-my-word-for-2013/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your word and your blog is super cute! My word is heart, to have a heart like God's.

    Jenifer
    jenifermetzger.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good word...I am sure that it will bring about plenty of change this year. Even when you forget what your word is from time to time and forget to be intentional about it, I am betting that at the end of the year you see growth. I know I did with my word from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My word for 2013 is intentional! Doing everything with a purpose in mind! Love your post!

    ReplyDelete